Makes : 30 fritters
Preparation Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 20 min
Spinach (roughly chopped) - 4 cups
Onion (thinly sliced) - 1.25 cups
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Chat Masala - 1 tsp
Corriander powder (dhania powder) - 1.5 tsp
Carom Seeds (Ajwain) - 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp or 1 green chilli finely chopped
Gram Flour (Besan) - 3/4 cup
1. Wash spinach, onion and put in a colander/sieve to drain excess water.
2. Put them in a flat dish and mix all the remaining ingredients. No need to add any water if you wash the veggies just before adding the seasoning and besan, if you have washed it beforehand, then you may need to add 1-2 tsp of water, but make sure the mixture is wet, lumpy and thick. It should not be runny at all. It will look like this :
3. Divide the mixture into 30 equal portions and roll each portion into a round ball.
4. In a flat bottom kadai/wok, heat oil and deep fry these balls on medium flame, till they turn golden brown from all the sides. The deep-frying procedure should take a little longer then deep frying potato cutlets, otherwise you will find them uncooked from inside, so make sure the oil is medium hot and NOT very hot.
5. Palak kanda bhajji is ready to serve. Serve immediately with tomato ketchup or any chutney of your choice :)
Best Accompaniment : Hot Masala Tea
Tip : You can add 1 tsp anardana (dry pomegranate seeds) in step 2 to enhance the flavour and taste.