|Instant Rava Uttapam|
This is one of the favorite Sunday breakfast in my family. Preparation time for these uttapams is very little. You can add any kind of vegetable available but it should be very finely chopped or grated. It is prepared from a batter of semolina(sooji) and curds and fresh vegetables.. so a very healthy food for kids.
Though its a breakfast item but generally it becomes a complete dinner at my home because everyone wants to have more of it!
Makes : 7 uttapams.
Semolina(sooji) : 1 1/2 cup
Curds : 1/2 cup
Water : 1 1/2 cup (approx)
Onion : 1/2 cup
Carrots (grated) : 1/2 cup
Cabbage (grated) : 1/2 cup
Salt : to taste
Chilli flakes : 1/2 tsp
Oil : to cook
1. Mix semolina, curds and 1 cup water. Keep aside.
2. Grate or finely chop the vegetables.
|finely chopped onion, grated carrots and cabbage.|
3. Put the vegetables in to the semolina-curd mixture and prepare a batter of pouring consistency using some more water, if required.
4. Add all the seasoning. Mix thoroughly.
5. Heat a non-stick tawa/griddle, simmer the flame, pour a ladle full of batter and spread it into a flat thin circle by moving the ladle and dragging the batter with it into a circular motion. Fill up the gaps, if any, using more batter.
|uttapam on griddle|
6. Drizzle a few drops of oil on the sides of uttapam and turn the flame medium-high.
7. When uttapam appears dry on the upper side, lift the edges and check if it has turned golden on the underside. If yes then flip it over and let it cook till reddish-brown spots appear.
8. Now apply a very little oil on the front side and flip it once again to get a crispy uttapam.
9. Cook for 30 sec more and the uttapam is ready.
Serving Suggestion : Serve it hot with Nariyal Chutney, Tomato Ketchup, chili pickle or mango pickle.
These uttapams take time in cooking and you have to cook them one-by-one, so to make them speedily, I always use two griddles at the same time. For spreading the batter, I always use non-stick one and when its done on one side, I flip it onto the Iron griddle and start spreading another uttapam on the non-stck griddle again.
|two griddles to speeden up the procedure|